Your Initial Meeting
At your initial meeting with your GP, they will discuss your work history with you. In order to obtain a detailed and accurate work history you GP will ask you questions about:
- where you worked;
- the type of work you did;
- how long you worked at each company; and
- the dates you worked at each of your jobs.
This information will provide your GP with a detailed and accurate work history in order to assess your exposure to asbestos in the workplace. If you have not been exposed to asbestos in the workplace, your GP will ask you questions about:
- any building or renovation work you or your family have been involved in;
- where you lived and the type of house you lived in; and
- the type of classroom you were in while you were at school.
The dates and timing are important, as they will allow your doctor to determine the timeframe of your exposure to asbestos.